Sunday, May 2, 2010

The damning effects of Facebook


Facebook has gotten out of control with vampire bites, top friends, bumper stickers and countless other applications. When Facebook came out in 2004, I first thought the idea was stupid but justified opening an account because it served as a great networking tool (or I just caved because "everyone is doing it"). I, like millions, was fascinated by this phenomenon when it debuted. However, due to my conclusion that Facebook is absolutely ridiculous, especially in terms of how much it influences people - and with the help of posting my resume on the Internet - I have de-activated my account. It was fun to see pictures of old friends, but Facebook is used mostly for absurd reasons like "poking" as a means of flirting. Soon everyone was utterly possessed by it. People obsessed over having the most "friends," posting the hottest pictures and scoring points to upgrade your werewolf. If you think about the concept of Facebook as a whole, it is entirely narcissistic. You have a public profile where you can talk yourself up beyond extreme exaggeration and, better yet, you can post as many sexy pictures of yourself as humanly possible. As many soon found out, Facebook has drawbacks. For example, I overheard a girl expressing her frustrations with not being on a "top friends" list. I thought, what happened to being concerned with real friends? I don't care how popular you are, there is no way you have more than 500 "friends," and there is no reason why someone should feel emotionally distraught over not being someone's "top friend." It blows my mind when I think about how seriously people take Facebook, especially when a friend request isn't granted or someone writes something nasty on your sacred Wall. Another downfall is the stalking aspect, and in some respect, all Facebook users are "stalkers." I cannot believe some people list their contact information (phone number, address, screen name, etc.) and complain that someone is "stalking" them because that person found their screen name on Facebook.

1 comments:

khalid said...

well said eugene. i share your sentiments

Post a Comment

eugenez logo

eugenez logo